Monday, July 26, 2010

And the problem refused to go - part 2

Sometime back I had blogged on my burgeoning electricity bill and some of you were kind enough to express your sympathy and profess that the problem would eventually go. But it didn't. So I thought to bring you up-to-date on where it stands now, in case you care to know and still have some sympathy and patience left for me.

Few days after the meter guys checked the meter, I met the landlord to give his rent. I again told him the entire episode and he repeated that the problem was that of power theft and the culprit was the jeweler. He informed the jeweler had not been paying his rent and the landlord would soon oust him. The landlord and the jeweler were close friends once and although I had suspected they had fallen apart, I couldn’t work out why.

The landlord fished out his cell phone (an iphone he uses only to make and receive calls; he doesn’t know any other functionalities) and called his electrician with a sense of urgency, asking him to fix the problem without the jeweler getting a whiff of the problem being fixed. He assured me he would also be there (the landlord doesn't stay in the building) with the electrician to make sure that not only was my meter ridded of the problem but all other meters were protected from future power theft with an iron cage put around them and the door locked. But, he added, he would have to find out a time when the jeweler would not be there. He sounded as if he was planning an income tax raid.

I understood the landlord’s presence with the electrician would cause embarrassment in case they were to bump on to the jeweler. But it’s difficult to be there and not find the jeweler because the meter is located next to the jewelry shop and the jeweler remains in his shop the whole day with occasional venture-outs but at no fixed time. I sensed under the pretext of being there in the absence of the jeweler the landlord would procrastinate.

I was not wrong. I neither saw the electrician nor the landlord nor his iron cage. When I called the landlord to check when he would send the electrician, he didn’t receive the call. I decided it was time to look for a new address. Few days later I received my meter bill. Bingo, it was Rs 200 fewer than the last bill, although still much higher than my actual power consumption. It will be interesting to see how much it’s next time and how long I can be patient.

In case you didn't read the earlier blog, click this.

6 comments:

Mark said...

hmmm, the long term options in your present place dont look that good. With the landlord refusing to fix this up, seriously dont know how long will the bill remain stable? I think its time you looked for a new place because I dont think you can call up a private electrician and fix the place...or maybe look at plan GBH....

indrablog said...

Hi Mark,
That's right but now that i am considering moving to Calcutta going to a new place may be a problem.

Mark said...

thats what I meant by plan B - GBH - "Going Back Home" ... hee hee :)

indrablog said...

Oh...ok. I was wondering what GBH stood for.

Ellen said...

Do find yourself a better place, Indra. Your landlord is a terrible landlord, to put it mildly. :-) You deserve better. Pls take care and I hope these things go away soon.

indrablog said...

Hi Elen,
Thanks, Elen, for dropping in. I am looking to leave this place.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...